Thursday 9 October 2008

Moustaches

It appears I've stirred up quite a hornets nest with the Ho Chi Minh Moustache debate. The thing is I'm off to Saigon in a couple of hours and he's not quite as popular down there. So the Ho moustache has been replaced with a Magnum PI one, becuase despite everything, they still worship Hollywood - sorry I mean America - I get them mixed up sometimes - down there.

I've been practising my room entry - essentially you stand outside breathing heavily, then kick the door in and leap in pointing your finger at anyone who might be there. It sure surprises the locals...

Naturally I can't stretch to a Ferrari, but I have managed to soupe up the cart I use to carry my money around with. The two stroke engine may not have the acceleration of a supercar, but it is damned efficient - I'm getting 100 miles to the litre. which is just as well, as a litre here can set you back 10,000 Dong.

But having learned to be inscrutible, I've modified the engine to take Chilli oil, this is only 2000 Dong a litre and available in even the smallest foodstall.

I pleased to be leaving Hanoi, not least because I avoided a sure fire collision with a motorbike last night only to be run over by another on the pavement. The only truely safe form of travel here is dreaming.

Anyway, got to go, but before I do, I'll leave you with a local saying:

Hello Mister where you from? England? England my favourite country - I like football - Manchester United - where you go? You want to buy postcard? Travel Guide? Map? Fan? I can be your tour guide 1 Hour very cheap - You Buy from me? I like England Very Much...

OK, it does go on a bit - I'll maybe give you ther rest in my next Blog - Tally Ho!

2 comments:

ChrisB said...

Hi old chap - sounds like you are having an interesting time.

Just found out how to post comments.

Bad week for West Ham:

Saturday West Ham 1 - 3 Bolton

Followed on Tuesday by:

Fears grew last night that West Ham United are on the brink of a financial crisis after Björgólfur Gudmundsson, the West Ham United owner, was dragged into the global credit crisis. The collapse of Landsbanki, the Icelandic bank of which Gudmundsson was chairman and a major shareholder, raised fears that he would need to sell the club. While shares of the bank are suspended after it was nationalised yesterday, Gudmundsson’s stake in it is notionally worthless.

Gudmundsson has said that there are no plans to sell the Barclays Premier League club, but he could not rule out the possibility if his other investments are affected by the turmoil in the markets. He has refused to consider interest from at least one serious potential buyer in recent weeks, but is bound to find more vultures circling over the coming days. The club are worth nearly three times the £85 million that he paid two years ago — taking on £20 million in debt — since when he has injected £30 million.

Asgeir Fridgeirsson, the West Ham vice-chairman, said that Gudmundsson’s ownership of the club is a personal investment not linked to Landsbanki and that his wealth is built on a diverse portfolio that includes construction, brewing, shipping, seafood production, property and media investments. The portfolio was estimated to be worth more than £1 billion last week, but considerably less after the plunge in share prices this week.

“It is, of course, a blow for him and his financial strength, but he has a number of other investments that are doing quite well at the moment, so there is no reason to fear that he will not honour his commitment to West Ham,” Fridgeirsson said yesterday. “I don’t think there’s any reason to be too pessimistic. West Ham is a wonderful club and a well-run company.

“At the moment, we are not actively in the process of selling the club and as it stands there is not a need to do so. We haven’t accepted any bids. There have been agents all around trying to get our attention, but we have turned them away. Gudmundsson is not going to take money out of the club but on the other hand these events have limited his options for further investment this year.”

Gianfranco Zola has been told that he will not receive transfer funds in January and the West Ham manager will have to trim the squad of 34 by about ten players to raise money for signings. “Our manager feels it is not necessary for it to be of that size,” Fridgeirsson said. “The club is standing strong. It is generating revenues.”

But life goes on!

ChrisB said...

Forgot to say that last week I was invited to attend the Rushmoor in Bloom award ceremony.

Low and behold I received a Silver Guilt Award in theAllotment Class (effectively 3rd place out of 550).

Hey ho - must try harder!