Friday 3 October 2008

Shiney

China,
At last a country where someone smiles. I got another janet on the Moscow Beijing train. He went to bed on the first night, got up at Shenyang, 500 miles from Beijing, 6 nights later, and left. He must have had pants like cardboard.

He did cough at me once, well it may have been me, he had a wonky eye. It was hard to tell.

Beijing is brand new, just out of the box. I have never seen anywhere so clean in my life. If a leaf falls off a tree a street cleaner will catch it before it hits the ground.

Its well known that there are 1 billion Chinese in China, 25% of which were in Tiann'amen square with me this morning. Its like swimming in a sea of people. There get everywhere, up your nose, behind the crease of your knee, I even found a family in my turn ups. Taking photos is impossible. As soon as you see a worthy shot someone stands in your view. I have 200 pictures of the back of Chinese heads.

I had to stop getting my map out as half a dozen people rush up to ask you if you need help with directions. 2 Million people made sure I got back to my hotel OK.

There are 16 million people in Beijing and 13 million bikes. I know this becuase a man trying to sell me Mao's Red Book told me so (of course I bought it). Which makes you wonder why three times the population of Manchester don't have one.

Also seen my favourite sign so far just outside the Summer Palace;

'Please be a good tourist and behave in a well-mannered imagination...'

Sunday I take a train to Hanoi, from where the next instalement will be provided. Thank you to those who left messages, keep 'em coming.

Have to go now, there's 6 million people waiting to use this computer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Micky
Enjoying the blog. It brought a smile to my face on another dullish Fleet Monday. Jeffers

Anonymous said...

Morning Micky,
Glad to know all is still well and hope johnny yellow cab took care of you. Turning cold and damp here now, although pete still thinks its short wearing weather. Just to cheer you up westham lost at home to bolton yesterday. Nom left for NZ on saturday so in theory left the field open for us to win on saturday (lloyd cup) not a hope. Take care and look forward to your next entry.
Good luck,
Boney 'n' Bird x

Anonymous said...

Its good to know you have found some friendly faces, lots of friendly faces by the sound of it.
Keep smiling and you will be ok x