Tuesday 7 October 2008

Traffic

OK, Beijing had a lot of people. Hanoi has a lot of people too, but they come with motorcycles. They are mental. Crossing the road is like being shot at. They come at you from all directions. The only possible way to get across a road is to drink a lot, close your eyes and sprint.

At least I will die a millionaire. I always knew, one day, I'd make it. I went into the bank with 50 quid and came out with 1.5 million Dong, so not only am I rich I,ve finally got a big dong.

I celebrated with a few beers - 40,000 dong, a hand held fan - a snip at 50,000 dong, and later I'm planning to purchase a tee shirt - this may set me back 75,000 dong. I dunno where does all the money go. I remember when a dong was worth something.

Had lunch today - the waiter asked me if I wanted the sinister menu - this you eat with joy for 2 hours like marriage - with a happy finish...

I had the soup instead which pretty much cleaned me out.

Off to play with the traffic now, literally...

Will be in Saigon in a couple of days - my receptionist said ' oooh, Saigon, traffic dangerous, better stay Hanoi, more quiet...'

Mind you she also told me I was tall, proving that, in life, everything is relative...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you like playing with the traffic eh!!!!
Drinking plenty should be an easy one for you, dont know about the sprinting though. I guess you could well be tall over there. Now go careful with the traffic and I shall look forward to your next installment. Love Jane x

Anonymous said...

nHey Mike,
the boys at the Reform Club are betting against you! When is the ballooning section? Ruth's just shown me how to turn on the computor! I was amused to see that you've actually provided us with the ability to enlarge the already hideous photo of your visage so i clicked on it. There is a rather amusing collection of photos behind it which i'm hoping are not an excert of your last holiday!
It's amasing there are no famous stand-up comedians from Hanoi; imagine the material you could create just around their currency - by the way "Dong" now features in the top five of my favourite words, although it can't top "moist" or "accordian"! Quidnunk has had to give way.
Don't forget your promise to get me a present from every town you pass through - i know you won't. Enjoy yourself and try not to miss anything! By the way, keep your dong in your pocket rather than a bank, they're all collapsing faster than Tottenham's chances of staying up!
Keep safe'
Brief 'n' Bird. (Boney copyright)